Saturday, March 15, 2008

rome marathon

nearly 15,000 participants are in roma
to run the cobblestones in marathon 2008
an estimated 50,000 will be in a 4k fun run

the weather is close to perfect
the runners say it’s a great way to see the city
non-stop tv coverage for the three hour event
features spectacular helicopter views

we go out to yell encouragement to the runners
then watch the rest on tv

the day before we saw roma our favorite way
on a bus ride, and while passing piazza del popolo
crowds of kilted scotch fans were walking along
drinking beer in preparation for a big rugby match

as we crossed a bridge over the tevere i mentioned,
"I've been here on my motorino."
there was a pause
my dear one was surprised and perplexed

"What? You've been hearing your motorino?
In your sleep, or can you hear it now?
Like a ringing in your ears?”

that was a frightening thought
since i had gotten rid of my motorino a few years ago
"No, I said, I've been here, on my motorino."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

In your sleep, or can you hear it now? Like a ringing in your ears?
That was a frightening thought, since you've gotten rid of your motorino a few years ago ?
So it's a dream...verry goog to old live, to restore the lost music!

Robert Brodie Booth said...

Lovely stuff, Jack. I just had a nice, long read. Keep it up; "warms the cockles of me 'eart!"
Robert Brodie Booth