Monday, December 01, 2008

Din River

he was walking, selling
mediocre prints of nature
we had stopped face to face
near the fountain

he, with the solid cheerful
light of a star about him,
though you wouldn’t suspect from his manner
surely his road had not been easy

when i asked where he was from, he replied Africa
i added “Senegal” as he said it in the same instant,
he put in my hand a porcelain thumb size
elephant, trunk up for luck, a gift, he said

recognizing my nature, he didn’t try to sell me anything
i put some change in his hand for the gift,
because I knew it would help reciprocate
for his time away from his labors

we each parted content, and perhaps in some way
changed for the better, a result of
our brief connection that took us farther along
the din river of humanity

4 comments:

Waiting for the Big Giant said...

well done. in every sense.

jack sender said...

Thanks, and by the way, I like comments from women with water coming out of the top of their head.

Annie said...

Moments and chance encounters can change our lives.

jack sender said...

Thank you.

Though women painted on the wall are frescoed, personally, I avoid getting plastered.