Monday, February 09, 2009

teach the children

if my kid’s kids lived next door door
instead of next moon moon
i’d stop in and say hi or they would
i’d teach them to do and quietly enjoy

to notice birds watching them
even the cat who sometimes isn’t really sleeping
keeps an eye on them
i’d try, i would, but example is the only way

for kids do as their parents
mine are destined
to continue the line
of doing lucky well

they have grown middle aged now
with families of their own
and live far away
my teaching is over

1 comment:

Cat said...

Beg to differ on two points...

1. Your teaching is not over - that will continue as long as we both live

2. I'm NOT middle aged! (If 37 is the middle point, that would put my death at 74, and that doesn't work for me - - I was shooting for something more like 95)