Thursday, March 26, 2009

Aces Wild

Okay, Annie, Julie, Tom, Sweet Talking Guy, you’re all in the game, aces wild. Now before we look at our cards I want to tell you thanks for the comments. You have all been helpful and I’ll try to mend my ways.

This is a highly personalized note to each and every one of you. Let’s do dinner! That’s a private joke I’ll let you in on.

One time M. and I had to vacate an apartment after only a few months tenancy because I got fired for the first and only time in my life from the last regular job I ever had. The owners of our apartment were being gracious and had us over for a glass of wine. As we were leaving they said that they’d invite us over for dinner sometime and asked if we liked fish. That was the capper, asking if we liked fish.

Of course that was the last time we ever saw or heard from them. To this day, every now and then, after someone makes a promise or invitation they are not likely to keep, M. privately says to me, “You like fish, don’t you?”

Okay, you can look at your cards now, and I’ll try to do better in my responding to your comments, but don’t bet on it. Now, one question, who dealt this mess?

3 comments:

TomC said...

Jack, I believe you dealt. I am going to bump the ante by promising to have you over if you ever get near Sacramento, if you like fish of course. We may even swill a little wine with it! Well, with or without you we will swill the wine...

Annie said...

Hi Jack,

It's always nice to get comments, even if it's a quick hello, and helpful comments if it's something about our writing. I have a "low traffic" blog, I think (I don't have a counter, so I don't really know), perhaps because it's eclectic, so it's always good to know I've been read.

Even though none of us have met, I consider us all to be friends of a sort. We put ourselves out on the page, at least selected aspects, and it feels good to be known for who we intrinsically are. So, I hope to hear from you soon, anyday and everyday you can!

Julie said...

I love fish! Lie to me, please! Ha! Ha! I'm really just kidding. I honestly don't get upset if people don't comment, so no pressure on this end. I just like your style, so I can't keep my big mouth shut.

I love it when you comment, of course. But I understand time constraints, etc. I'm pretty mellow about it, probably because I'm the world's worst blogger.

I hope you don't mind if I keep commenting here, though. I love your poems. Even the ones I don't comment on, I enjoy reading but get interrupted before I can comment. I'm getting nagged to get off the internet right now.

Sorry to blather on. Come to Carolina anytime, and we can all have a bonfire and oyster roast. I'll tell my sister we're having it at her house:)