Wednesday, March 25, 2009

sweeper

a street sweeper with a long wood handled straw broom
the kind witches flew on, no kidding
was down below cleaning last night’s reverie
doing half a job she was,
all the way up the alley

i did better sweeping my dad’s bar when i was eleven
without city wages or a hat and badge
and a uniform with a wide iridescent orange stripe
up the middle and over the back
so no one runs her over

sweeping cobblestones isn't easy
i'll say that for her,
a lot of cracks, you know
yet it is something to do

so she’ll go through the motions,
put in her time
make her wages
knowing her father won’t come by
to check how well she did the job

2 comments:

Annie said...

I used to sweep the floor of a laundromat when I was twelve years old, after my father was laid off and then had a heart attack, and my parents bought the laundromat to make ends meet.

I made change, dusted off the machines, after school and Saturdays sometimes, all by myself. It is not a happy memory. But I got to go to the Dairy Queen around the corner, and get my Dilly Bars for a snack, and drink orange soda out of the machine.

jack sender said...

After your comment, Annie, I changed my age of being a sweeper to twelve. That seems more reasonable. I really don't remember.
Perhaps I was eleven and had the paper route when I was twelve.