Wednesday, April 29, 2009

dear Captain

dear Captain, take me along with you and Rafal,
let me board and sail on to foreign ports
let the compass spin as the great prop churns
mark it all on the cart as we make way

i’ll tow the line, skipper
eat well and hold tight on deck
sleep like a baby as the ship bounces around
though heavy storms will wind up, you won’t let us down

by whales, seagulls, and flying fish
until entry to the bay and the flat channel narrows
finally to port, at a long pier for tie up
there all will wave goodbye

1 comment:

Annie said...

Hi Jack, This would make a great children's book, depending on the illustrations, for Kindergarten through 3rd grade. I'm visualizing oil paintings. There's wonderful imagery, and the sound of the poem is both exciting and lulling. I hear the voice of a child as I read it aloud. (Don't be embarassed! There's a child in all of us.) Seriously, I'd consider submitting it through an agent to a children's book publisher. The main drawback would be the state of the economy, which has hit publishers as well.