Sunday, May 10, 2009

ohio morning

Ohio morning rose
by it self today
i didn’t have to help
it was dark when i got up

and forgot the impending first crack of light
as slippered i listened from the porch
doves the only sound,
whatever they say, i’m sure they repeat themselves
i don’t count the way off highway hum

or the leaves rubbing together in a breath of breeze
or were they unfolding to make that noise?
i mean, trees are made compatible
yet may have to stretch and scratch when they wake

so then it was morning,
had coffee and tried in vain to consider
what the heck i’d been dreaming
that had seemed so darn important all night long

i heard Herb the frog say something
and wondered how he slept tucked in cold mud last winter
Ohio is like living in a primitive forest
without the monkeys, giant leaves and tumbling waterfalls

plus, we have a postman
i meant to say practically like living
and if you had to skip back to see what i am talking about
you’re not concentrating hard enough

wake up
and smell the frog

6 comments:

Annie said...

I had to skip back! I like this poem, a quiet welcome to the morning, makes me want to go back to North Carolina, which we might manage this August. Frog poopy? It would be crude, but with the rest of this poem, its almost (not quite) cute.

I like the opening: "Ohio morning rose by itself today... i didn't have to help..."

It's probably easier to appreciate what you've got there, once you've been away.

Annie said...

Hey, I just saw you took away the comments about frog "poopy" as the final line (and why you changed it), but I know I read it yesterday!

jack sender said...

Annie,

I don't think coming and going from here has much to do with how we appreciate Ohio; it is very pretty. We both enjoy small town life. The nature is wonderful. M. has her vegetable and flower gardens. I have the pond. Coming and going doesn't seem to strengthen or weaken my opinions.

You read it yesterday? Frog poopy? I don't recall. Perhaps you read it on buffaloe yoder's site?

Annie said...

Nope. Your site. You must have pulled the original post pretty quick, if you don't remember it! (I have record of both posts on my "following" log.)

jack sender said...

Annie,

TomC could be responsible for the mess. I'll inquire.

TomC said...

Nope. Sorry Jack. Having followed your blogs since the beginning I can honestly say I know plenty about Herb but nothing about his "poopy". I do seem to recall seeing the reference in an earlier version of the post so I tend to agree with Annie. I hope you will take no offense as I suspect you are the 'cereal' frog killer who has haunted your pond in past years. I am grateful that Herb has escaped that fate and look forward to reading more of his escapades... less bodily functions of course.