Friday, July 10, 2009

face lift for an old village

a bed and breakfast
all decked out, not moving
like a ship in dry dock
the owner’s husband split
so she dressed the place like a dollhouse
lacked only a key to wind it up

my wife liked it, but does more shopping than I
not into pastels and ruffles myself
ok, little wrapped chocolates in a dish
no oil lamps I understand, electricity is fine

but I missed the manly respect to history in detail
give me a hammer, saw, raw wood and cigar smoke
let me walk old boards not puffy carpet

on the street I hum obscure half melodies
watch stylish girls window shop
and startle to the loud music booms
from SUV’s cruising slowly by

an old town in new times
caught twix and tween
undecided which way to go
leaving tourists to wander

1 comment:

Annie said...

Great images, as usual. And I like the final line: "Leaving us to wander," which is an action, rather than the abstract concept of "wonder" which a reader might expect. "Leaving us to wander" imparts the feeling of bewilderment, and disappointment, which the rest of the poem also conveys.