Sunday, December 20, 2009

Leonardo

stepped out this morning
suddenly a guy yelling for help
limping on fire to the knee
flames leaping waist high

i put him on the ground
put out flames with my hands
windows opened above, shouting
soon an ambulance came

i calmed him, said he was Leonardo
a street person with a small fire
keeping warm under the arch
next time he’ll remember me

the ambulance took him
put lotion on my hands
i had stepped out for a smoke
not to burn merry Christmas


I have repeatedly posted this as Leonardo, then changed it to Leonardo Burning, four or five times in the last 24 hours. I like the title Leonardo Burning, but don’t want to offend the worth of this street person Leonardo by seemingly trivializing the event; and the poem ends with a burning reference and I didn’t want to lessen the effectiveness of the poem. To burn merry Christmas is a swirling mystic somewhat ambiguous reference and I wanted it left like that, unrestrained.

Maybe I’ll have to stand back and let time pass before I can make final cuts.

As it is, the energy in there. It happened, I came upstairs and wrote it. At this point the poet is too close to the event to judge what has effectively transpired in the writing.

4 comments:

Dave King said...

That is for me everything a poem should be. It is taut, succinct and has both density and a slant. Excellent.

TomC said...

Lucky for Leonardo you haven't given it up. And lucky for him you are the man you are. A fine Christmas gift... well done.

Annie said...

Leonardo Burning is an arresting title, but I understand your reservations. In this case, the event and your respect for Leonardo is more important than the poem.

Andy Sewina said...

Nice one Jack! Great little story...