Saturday, July 24, 2010

barbeque in the country

picked up Darrel at his farm,
first saw work he’d done,
talked a bit, checked the time
then hit the road.

off out there we drove,
a country parcel north o’ the village,
parked in grass at the part tin clubhouse
for a Sunday good eatin’ chicken barbeque

the American Legion put it on,
country eatin’ fun, for all’d come,
at the intersection of parched long fields,
on a rise by rail road tracks.

men fired slow baked glazed golden chicken,
cole slaw, barbeque beans the ladies made,
plus chocolate sheet cake frosted,
with as you please coffee and lemonade.

under yellow sun, very still this hot July noon,
doors and windows were slung open a mile,
an electric fan hummed a welcome summer breeze
in our rural, out of the way, little town Ohio.

3 comments:

Annie said...

I like lines like these:
"parched long fields"
"as you please coffee and lemonade"
and "little town Ohio"

And, I love the feeling the poem evokes, of a good, hot summer day with friends, food, and community.

TomC said...

What Annie said Jack. Reminded me of my jog to Tom Cook's grave site likely near there. Made me miss rural Ohio. Think I will brush off the dust and post that story to my blog.

"ammicus" was my log in word today - sounds like a word from our old altar boy recitation - the Suscipiat/

Ruahines said...

Kia ora Jack,
Brings back great American memories. Man I'm hungry! We don't do barbeque chicken here, and lemonade means Sprite or 7Up.
Cheers,
Robb