Tuesday, September 28, 2010

in wood times - reprise

in wood times i've spent walking
gathering colors, tasting sounds
by ferns, tall grass, and animals
under the forest canopy, making rounds

flushing pheasants as i go
they streak off in a line
then to stop, a place i know
amid green berries on the vine

wild white rolling clouds above
reflect the light, contrast the blue
in nature's time i touch the love
and symmetry by which things grew

the wind plays light and sweet
with mint and closer scents
honeysuckle and wildflower complete
the multicolored firmament

at a small creek bank i pause to drink
and there, witness life within
a small plant reaches water's brink
the shoots are young and thin

where hours pass i cannot say
the sun marks shadows on the land
little voices beg me to stay
i promise trees, i'll come again

3 comments:

Ruahines said...

Kia ora Jack,
Enjoyed the walk, cheers!
Robb

jack sender said...

Robb, as soon as I get an extra three million dollars I want to fly out your way and see that beautiful New Zealand water and woods.
(a thousand for the ticket - the rest for shark and mosquito repellent.)
I noticed your photo, Robb. Is it true in New Zealand they’ve stopped the aging process?

Annie said...

Hi Jack,
You've written many beautiful poems, but this may be the most beautiful. I read it aloud, and got such a peaceful feeling. The sound of the language and the images are compelling. I love the words, "in wood times," and "gathering colors and tasting sounds," and this: "in nature's time I touch the love and symmetry by which things grew." You make me want to take a walk tomorrow, and keep my promise to the trees.