Tuesday, August 16, 2011

when she asked me

when she asked me to turn
off the sprinklers in twenty minutes
i nodded and  noticed the kitchen clock
and then the one in the living room.

they were ten minutes apart.
i began to tell her and she said
“Oh, jack” in that tone, you know which one.
“This is not science.”

“go make a clock then” is what i thought
but didn’t say,
then forgot where i was going with this
so i returned to the spot where i thought it

ever do that?
it usually works  -  to capture forgotten thoughts
return to the spot where you thought it.
this time it didn’t work.

looking out the kitchen window
there on the back of a chair
a squirrel sat intensely
looking in at me.

i had a plan where i was going with this
but  now, before i forget again,
i'd better go out
and turn off the sprinklers.

4 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Jack,

Did you change your blog background color? It looks richer.

Hmmm, just look at the one clock; and at least you remembered the sprinklers. "Returning to the spot where I thought it." I often have to do that, when I am looking for my keys, and then forget, that is what I was looking for.

jack sender said...

didn't change my colors.

i actually checked four clocks, but picked two that were farthest apart for the poem.

come on! i thought i was the only one who returned to the spot where i had the thought in order to remember it.

Hannah Stephenson said...

"Go Make a Clock Then," Poems by Jack Sender

(good title for your collection!). This poem is all about ordinary disorientation. I so get that.

jack sender said...

Hannah, one day i'll put them all together. they'll be easier to find in one volume, and since they're all from life, that's what it is, one volume.