Saturday, November 05, 2011

box of cereal

instead of stopping for a donut,
i’m going to get vitamins, they say.
but what happened?
But What (that’s me), can’t get to the cereal.

pulling, twisting, chewing,
all the old tricks
nothing budges the indestructible plastic package.
finally i use some scissors.

then, pouring  those golden flakes,
expecting toys and games,
i see that nothing special drops,
only flakes;  ok - so they’re kinda golden.

yet they look like plain flakes to me.
oh, my how times have changed.
there isn’t even a toy rocket
or whistle in the bottom of the box.

still i guess it’s okay to eat cereal,
mainly cause i know deep down
it  may be better for me
than a  dunkin’ donut.

5 comments:

Annie said...

I, too, miss prizes. Even when my son was little, they were not the same; and now, I don't think they do it at all. I remember Cracker Jack prizes when they were made out of plastic and metal- not paper puzzles and other useless things. And I would swear there used to be more peanuts in a Cracker Jack box.

TomC said...

Oh, the good old days... but your story has me hankering for a doughnut Jack. I was born for them and, in fact, missed my calling. I shoulda' been a cop.

On the other hand, the "scissors" thing I can identify with. It keeps hitting me too like a sucker punch. Too often, I wrestle with the bag a while before I remember to reach in the drawer for a handy pair of scissors.

Hannah Stephenson said...

I once got Special K with Red Berries to discover there was not one red berry in my box :(.

But I like the lightness and wit of the poem very much.

jack sender said...

Hannah, today, years later, i laugh
at your lack of a reed berry.

jack sender said...

red