Sunday, March 04, 2012

no books

no books in piles around me anymore.
it’s electronic read things
manufacturing each other
while singing “robots are good cha cha cha”

i hear their chant in unison,
like the mechanical mice they practically are;
tapping feet to the beat.
enjoy their music? click, click, click.

people had to rest and eat,
even wanted money – hah!
the new system is up and running
serving the rich and whoever’s in.

so with technology improving
tell me when will i see
a little spilling over,
helping write my poetry?

3 comments:

Hannah Stephenson said...

The "robots are good cha cha cha" is steadily becoming the newest dance craze.

Books in piles, always!

Annie said...

I have books everywhere, in many piles. I don't think I can give them up. I now search for illustrated editions over a hundred years old. I hope they never disintegrate or fail to please. The internet archive includes so many wonders, and so many abysmally scanned books from google, sans illustrations or quality imaging. I don't think those electronic gizmos will help us to write; only distract us from what we want to say.

I enjoy your verses in this poem, and those "electronic read things" going cha, cha cha, chanting in unison like the mechanical mice they practically are... Kind of scary how they take over, just like those piles of books.

Yet, I am probably on the verge of purchasing a kindle, or a tablet device... Eek.

jack sender said...

annie, i do love my kindle.