Saturday, December 28, 2013

wood harbinger

wood harbinger heralds the snows
up winding the path covered white
a shelter in the bark
burnt folds are open to us
we watch the snow without
from within the tree
holding on to us
talking with me
i can tickle the giant sequoia
and it laughs a thousand year old laugh
out of deer, grey squirrels, chipmunks and birds
passing shadows
making faces
marking time
on top of the mountain
slight little me
how tall and how long
can you stand in rain
and snow
in winds that blow
in sun and heat
all seasons complete
an auburn tree watches and holds on to me
and reminds me not to rush
no worry so great
no love so strong
no time to stop
letting the world go on about its way.

1 comment:

Annie said...

This poem, with some re-working, would make a wonderful children's picture book. As it is... it is a beautiful poem and it reminds me of walks in the forest and the majesty of the tallest trees. Sequoia trees, of course, are the ancient grandfathers.