Friday, May 08, 2009

dark flight

the first hours of a nine hour flight this day
were shaded from the light
It worked out that way
lamps down, shades drawn

made the flight a transition
like diving
beginning with trepidation, anticipation
then splash enter
another world

hold your breath, swim a few strokes
more than familiar,
it became comfortable

m. is in the row ahead of me
center section of the plane
the middle of three seats
a good speed for the engines
flight very smooth

for the first time I use her earplugs
that deaden the sound
put on my slippers
and turn on an overhead lamp
the entire experience in the half empty
smooth riding jet became

like reading comfortably in my living room
only I’m speeding ahead seven hundred mph
and not watching where we're going

1 comment:

Annie said...

I love reading your observations and the way you express them, and the way you've broken up your lines and stanzas.