Thursday, August 20, 2009

oldies

heard songs on a oldies station at the dentist
made me cringe, tell you way,
Buddy Holly, Peggy Sue,
get this: fifty years ago it was an oldie

it was recorded fifty-one years ago
i remember it the first time,
and they all sound different to me now
the individual instruments can be heard

how i process them in my mind
how they sound technically, remixed
the space between the notes
the sound with decent speakers

now reproduced in stereo
add my own playing, knowledge, abilities
all the sounds of the passing years
packed in my head

a half century of music
enough oldies, plenty, i mean it,
i’m full, where’s sophistication?
time to turn the musical corner

1 comment:

jack sender said...

Sunny Curtis was a friend of mine.
he went to school with Buddy Holly in Lubbock, Texas and played with the Crickets, took over for Buddy when he died. I love all of his and their music.

As a musician, composer and writer I want to look ahead. To me music is more than distraction from a toothache.