Friday, October 08, 2010

cell phone dilemma

major red alert,
cell phone is missing -
the pulse of my life line.
gone but not forgotten.

went back where i had coffee.
questioned everyone repeatedly.
most seemed honest in their replies.
evidently i didn’t leave my phone there.

staggered home dejected.
instead of crying right away,
dumped big trash can in the drive.
two cops driving by stopped to watch.

i put it all back,
took a half hour,
searching the sticky mess
a piece at a time.

then brilliant idea
struck like lightening. wow.
i asked the cops to call my cell number
and put it on speakers in their car.

if the rat face sleaze at the coffee place answers
i’ll recognize his wheezy voice.
from the squad car they let me dial,
misdialed my cell number several times.

chatted with interesting people,
talked longer with the nice ones
a few wrong numbers were angry,
cops were growing impatient.

i suggested, “Lend me a dollar, i’ll call
for a medium pizza, split it three ways,
if you drive us to pick it up.”
cops were unhappy.

head down, i kept dialing.
finally got the right number.
two seconds later
my pocket rang.

6 comments:

TomC said...

Mighty fine post! It has all similarly happened right here at our home in River City, "The Big Tomato" to yours truly.

And today's Google secret word used to convince me I am who I say I am, "moloar"... likely referring to some sort of dental tool.

jack sender said...

exactomondo!

stay on your toes.

keep off every one else's.

Julie said...

I know you hate haha, Jack. But I won't say it if you will just picture me grinning. That last line nearly cracked my ribs. (In other words, I'm still snort laughing). A good one. The whole scenario is great. "The rat face sleaze at the coffee place..." I love it.

Can you believe I have no cell phone? It's a hermit thing (and a broke thing). I might get one next year and just get rid of the land line. It would come in handy when the car breaks down. On the other hand, it would ring a lot. That's hard on the hermit thing.

Anyway, enough of my jabber. I should have sent this as an e-mail instead. Thanks for an awesome poem.

jack sender said...

Julie, thank you for commenting
and confessing.

that just caused readers of this note
to go back and see what you were confessing.

this poem was a stretch into
"poems for movies" a new genre i've just created. please send your daughter and a film crew. i need a buck a piece from everyone.

jack sender said...

Julie 2.

“hate ha-ha”?
did i say that?

picture you grinning?
i thought you couldn’t afford a picture?

“snort-laughing”?
like Angelina Jolie in her quiet time?

Julie said...

I thought you hated haha. Maybe that was somebody else? Sorry for the confusion. Now I have to try to remember who hates haha, so I can say it a whole lot at his blog. I know it's a man.

Pictures in yer brain are free. I have a bunch of them I can give you. Free brain pictures.

The only thing I snorted was bourbon up my nose when I was laughing, because I'm too stupid to remember not to have a drink while I'm reading.