Friday, December 16, 2011

m.

she’s good.
real damn good
cooking, cleaning, sewing,
her gardens, flowers, vegetables.

can work harder, longer
sweat more
do it right and better
than i can.

so why do i
have to walk around the house
turning off all the lights she leaves on
in the morning?

now there’s heat in the kitchen
m. making corn chowder
this after she turned bushels of tomatoes
into chili sauce.

i‘ve spun the globe seeking a site
to erect a monument for her.
when i asked she said she wanted a tree
in front of the library .

that seems reasonable;
in front of the widow
lined with cookbooks
and stories of survival.

i guess she could not think
of a solitary place from which
she could keep an eye on me.
then again, she may change her mind anyway.

though, hooking up with the library,
i know how her mind works,
always staying on the good side,
she thinks it’ll help erase any fines she may accrue.

2 comments:

TomC said...

A fine tribute to a great lady Jack. I will never forget her thoughtful handling of Julieann and I as tenderfoots in Rome. To see that she does the same for you everyday does not come as a surprise. No entries in her blog though for a couple of years. She must be terribly busy keeping track of you, just as Julieann is with me. I miss her wonderful, spirited writing.

Annie said...

I wish someone could erase my fines! This is a beautiful tribute, Jack, filled with humor and warmth and love. I enjoy the rhythm of this poem, (as in all of your poems), and lines like these: "lined with cookbooks and stories of survival." Like Tom, I miss "m."'s writing. I had just started to read her, when she stopped posting, so maybe someday, but I'm glad she's content.