Monday, May 24, 2010

THIS IS BIG POND

What d’ya got?

Read ‘em an weep,
four frogs up, partner.

Tell M. to get inside.
‘N somebody git the sheriff,
tell’m they’ve holed up in da pond yonder.

I seen that big’en before,

Big frog looks like an outlaw.
A renegade.
Holding steady, hands set to draw.
Easy – easy – keep your hands where I can see ‘em mister.

Tell M. to get inside.

Ah, I did already.

Tell her again.

Hell, look at that, all four sit hunched like gunmen.

And women!

Women?

Hell yes. They don’t hold no count to who’s what’s men and who’s what’s women
cept’n during courtin’, then all bets off!

look - They all dress the same.

It’s a gang.

murmer, murmur, murmur.

The medium aren’t as threatening, and the widdle widdle
tiny one is . . . well, cute.

Back in the house, M.

Earp!
Last night I heard ‘ that big one
was callin’ Wyatt out, all night.
Earp!

quick, Wilbur. what month do you have?

eh. Month is May.

May?

S’ what I said.

Was just repeating . . . May ? . . .
We gots us a month and a half a’fore a courtin’s over.

appears they’re a fixin’ fer a hullabaloo!

anyone ever call you Sherlock!

To be convoluted. . .

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I can't help myself. I'm picturing frogs in cowboy hats and gun belts. They look pretty cute! ~ Annie

jack sender said...

Just don't let 'em get the drop on you, mam.

Paul said...

That is brilliant, a real joy to read. Ribbutt.

jack sender said...

Thanks, Paul.

I was looking at Ribbutt and wondered if it was a surname or something, then I figured it was the frog noise, and I think a lot of people identify with that Ribbutt, well identify is the wrong word cause it sounds to personnal, but these frogs in our pond really do say a nice slow low throaty Earp.

Maggie May said...

...gives me that good ole southern feeling