Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Weather Everywhere You Look, Up and Down

everyone is talking
about rainy days these days everyday
it is raining all over the world this year
or so it seems, so they say, my uncle said

because i heard neither the planet nor God
is making any new water
maybe a dash of global warming
is increasing the humidity

so it appears there is more wet about
at the same time, don’t you know?
didn’t mean to get ultra scientific
hope i didn’t like lose you

what i am saying is: maybe the amount of water
is the same, but because there is more rain
it’s not drying up as quickly and it looks like more
i'm not selling umbrellas or anything

4 comments:

jack sender said...

okay, so i went stupid. i don't know why. it happens, you know?

it is good to know i have hit the bottom, cause there is only one way to go.

well, that remains to be seen, doesn't it?

Anonymous said...

Your comment just made me laugh, Jack, because I was going to tell you I love this poem. What does that say about my brain? Ha!

But I can't help it. I dig a voice that can leap from rain to an uncle to God to science and global warming...then to selling umbrellas. Awesome last line. I don't think you're anywhere near the bottom. I love your work.

jack sender said...

Your brain? Your brain has nothing to do with my poem. And don’t you forget it.

when I edited I added the “my uncle said”. By mentioning an uncle for no reason I was looking for subtle humor by incongruity, and you found it.

What do you mean when you told me, “I don't think you're anywhere near the bottom”? I hope that wasn’t a veiled threat. You don’t have any mountain folk rolling the bones telling fortunes do ya?

I’m sure you don’t “love” my work. I am sure it is only “like”, but that’s fine enough words coming from a writer of your caliber. Anyway, liking is subjective so you may be wrong. Think about it.

now seriously I will tell you
I put in “hope I didn’t like lose you” cause
people keep saying “like” the way
they used to say “uh” or “you know” and all the other interjections.
when I read it all back I thought my efforts of that mild insertion
were all but lost in the vernacular.

Andy Sewina said...

Phew, if it rains you get wet, wet if it do, wet if it don't - whoose wet behind the ears now?

Did you know that there's a bloke somewhere who's making a collection of all the poetry and lyrics in the world that mention 'don't you know?'