Sunday, April 19, 2009

rome welcome

I’d like to tell you this is a love story, something fuzzy, warm and cuddly. Instead I’m kicking myself for his misfortune. It wasn't my fault. I tried to help. I'm just asking why don’t they understand that 20 years in the city has taught me things an outsider doesn’t know?.

For sure I told him to be careful. I know I did. It’s a given. After all, he was a new guy to the city, coming in to the train station for the first time. But what good was my telling him? How can someone digest the importance of everything heard in a transatlantic phone conversation, when there is the excitement of the trip to think about.

When I gave him my phone number he wrote that down. But who is going to write down the warning “watch out for thieves”?



rome welcome

a friend arrived in Italy by boat
on a luxurious sixteen day cruise
with six ports of call
to the final port an hour away

wanted to help every way i could
hell, everyone likes special treatment
offered to meet at the train
to kind of ease him into the city

this experienced world traveler
said he could easily get one block to the hotel
he was going to handle it,
would call when he got in

about the time I expected
the phone rang, he called to
tell me yes, he was in Rome and
his wallet was stolen at the train station

credit cards and about five hundred dollars
gone with the quick hands,
this is not the end of the short story,
he still has three weeks to go

3 comments:

Julie said...

What a horrible ordeal. This poem is a powerful reminder to people like me who are probably easy targets. I am truly sorry for your friend's misfortune. I can't imagine having that much money stolen! I will never forget this poem when I am traveling.

jack sender said...

Julie,

When I travel back to Ohio I'm going to remember your excellent suggestion and order a book or two by poet Justin Barrett.

http://juliebuff.wordpress.com/2009/04/20/justinbarrett/

Laughter is the best medicine, especially when it is bottled as well as Justin's.

Julie said...

I'm so glad, Jack. He really is an awesome poet. I love the voice. Speaking of humor, I love your new poem. I should go comment there now:)