Friday, August 21, 2009

jungle country vacation

when he was ten
and I was the age of lightning, long hair and magic
my son and i journeyed to Belize
to swim eat explore, and we did

returning through Mexico
border guards were hesitant alert
as we were afoot toting light luggage
but took a chance and let us enter their country

that overnight dirt road through jungle toward the north star
hobbling potholes packed on a tired rusty dull blue bus
amid ripe fruit, peasants, potions and shamans
my son secure and asleep, i fell into dream in some rear seat

awaken by rays of yellow dawn light, my head resting
on the breast of a congenial country woman.
we departed the bus later that morning
all waved to us, she was still smiling

2 comments:

Fireblossom said...

Oh my goodness, that's lovely! What a picture you've painted!

I think that's me I see on your bloglist...thanks so much for adding me. :-)

Annie said...

Hi Jack,
I've said it before about many of your poems, but I enjoy the rhythm and sound and imagery of this poem- it carries me right along, with an amusing conclusion. I also like this line: "... and I was the age of ligntning, long hair and magic" - It's a great way to describe both a feeling and to pinpoint a time in your life.