Saturday, February 06, 2010

now i am one

times ago when a novice to Italia
went on the road two months,
a touring play with a dozen Italians
coffee together, every meal, every day

coffee in the morning, you say
i can do that, start my day
or so it seemed, so i’d say
yet when it came all was outlandish new

disorderly turmoil, without deviation
coffee with these, the experienced,
weaned by the ages, since the beginning,
habitual action conferred by generations

my patterns needed compromise to function
i watched, i participated, adjusting i learned,
how long it takes, precisely how it is done
many roads that lead to the one

not of my bloodline,
infelicitous and extrinsic
day after day, until now,
now i am one

4 comments:

Dave King said...

I'm getting into your writing now. There is just enough ambiguity to whet the appetite - or would be, if the appetite had not already been whetted by the freshness and originality.

Andy Sewina said...

Nicely Jack! don't you just love coffee?

I couldn't figure out how to comment on another poem recently, and I notice only this one is 'commentable' today!

jack sender said...

Thanks, Dave.

Andy, I keep messing with the works.

I respect each of you for what you do.

Best Wishes.

Andy Sewina said...

Thanks Jack, have fun with your messing!