Wednesday, March 24, 2010

massive paralyzing total transit strike

another
massive paralyzing total transit strike
averted,
canceled at the last moment.

as they run, so we shall ride
into the dark heart of urban chaos

didn’t want to get halfway into
the jaws of hell,
some lonely half-deserted road
left to hike out,

have done that already.
what’s this?

a woman trying to be sixteen
and fifty pounds lighter
boards the bus
in brilliant shiny ultra high spike heels
with dagger toe points like a swordfish
waddling from pole to pole
a performing penguin
with red claws,
dainty as can be

as making notes
i ride deep up denial
longing for looking
on something for always,
or pizza for eating,
just a bite
save me

i can’t help it
or me or you
so don’t ask
i’ll say i never heard of it
just the truth
nothing butt,
take me up denial,
cruise by,
say,is that the Sphinx on your head
or just a stylish new hat?

getting off the bus
i look down to see
a flash of white in front of me
my zipper is half way down
and my shirt is sticking through
about half a foot's worth
like a large white rabbit's ear

as they run, so we shall ride
into the dark heart of urban chaos

2 comments:

Tess Kincaid said...

I shuddered at the woman with the dagger toes. Nothing butt...hee.

jack sender said...

I added the last paragraph after Willow's comment because I wasn't trying to make myself the hero, and just be slamming the lady.

It wasn't her fault she looked like a styling turkey.

The "nothing butt" was deliberate. I didn't know what to do with it, other than write it that way. It's open to interpretation.

In part of this work I was like jazz riffing here ...getting in touch with my 1950s beat poetry spirit.