Friday, March 12, 2010

we are like globes

we are like globes,
similar to the one we live on
with different regions, aspects

when i see you
perhaps my soviet union territory
is facing your north America

always like that
sometimes turned a bit
yet exposing familiar surfaces

we are similar on the edges
where we overlap,
though, if we were to part

then return after a revolution around the sun
and my Australia faced your South America
we wouldn’t recognize each other

we might not even see each other. so
as a point of contact, as reference, as renewal
show me your china, i’ll show you mine

4 comments:

Annie said...

This poem deserves multiple re-reads, to celebrate its humanity, and to discover the "practically science." I like it.

Dave King said...

I really enjoyed that. It's fresh and original and well worked through. I shall read it again, I think - and maybe again .

jack sender said...

Dave’s words “again and again” reminded me
– I kept working on this one for several days. Instead of using “china” I wanted to use “land down under”.

Andy Sewina said...

Yeah, like this very much Jack!