Friday, May 21, 2010

a rural ohio spin

like slippin’ into old shoes,
i know the feeling, know the place;
for sure a different pace
in the spin of the entire human race.

take this sunny weekend afternoon, for instance –
a drive, only two cars, me and another
out there in the wide open rolling way-back.
window down, country wind in my hair,
and this guy's ahead of me.

i tell ya, out there is where you find
those who drive like . . .
like penguins waltz.
hang on, baby, it is the Nutcracker.

for as speed marked fifty-five,
plain as day on the sun lit sign,
the guy in front of me thinks thirty-five is doin’ fine.
that’s what i was talking about - a real Nutcracker.

umpteen miles later, we came finally
to a welcome v in the road,
thank god and pumpkins he goes the other way.
adios and Umgawa, may the force be with you Farmer Who.

oh, and road sign now says reduce speed to thirty-five.
ok then, i’m used to it, been warmed up doing that
for quite a while now; only now
there’s another guy in front of me, a new one.
he is doing twenty, i kid you not.
evidently thinks that’s plenty.
sakes alive. stayin’ alive, stayin’ alive.

divert him, that’s my wish.
someone please - throw him a fish.
just pass him by and lob one out the window.
when he sees it bounce on the road
i know he’ll stop and go for it,
at least for a Smell Check -
that's what critters do.

6 comments:

Julie said...

Jack, I just had to call my husband in here to read this one. We're both laughing so hard. Then I had to kick him out of my chair, so I could comment.

We have a little joke about how the old farmers are really part of a "let's pull out in front of Julie" conspiracy. The joke is that they really have a sophisticated network (complete with walkie talkies and computers) in their old trucks, so they can notify each other as to when Julie is coming. It's even better if Julie is in a hurry or late for work. They track me at all times, and on occasion, they'll have Myrtle head me off at the pass. Yesterday, they employed a horse trailer that COULD have waited two seconds for me to pass, because the road was wide open behind me. But NO...it had to pull out and go 15 mph for the next half hour on a curvy road. I swear, the horses were looking out the windows of the trailer and laughing at me.

I love it. Thank God and pumpkins!

jack sender said...

Thanks for looking and laughing, Julie. Now I read it again, two weeks after our Ohio arrival and I could laugh at the events.

Hey, they may slow us down, but at least their not shooting at us . . . yet. And, I know they’re packin’.

Ruahines said...

Kia ora Jack,
Been there as well. Over here it is common to have our two lane country roads blocked at milking time when the cocky's (farmers) are bringing the cows from the paddock (feild) across the road to the milking shed. Or worse is getting caught amongst a large flock of sheep going down the the road to another paddock. As Julie alludes to I swear I have seen the wooly critters smiling at me as they walk by.
Cheers,
Robb

jack sender said...

You got me laughing on that one, Robb.

I just mentioned the newborn lambs in a previous post, "Misdirected" fri. march 14. I
Drove by there today and they were all either in another field or already off somewhere getting wrapped in plastic.

Maggie May said...

i love the rhythm here, the bouncing like the car. and George Carlin- in your profile?- we saw him in the months before he died, something I'll always be glad of.

jack sender said...

Today I was just telling a friend about George when I saw him in Cleveland in '74 or so. He did an hour, then a band played for twenty minutes, then he came back and did another hour and a half, it was audience abuse, but he was smoking pot on stage and lost track of time evidently, or was just having a lot of fun.

When he finally ended the audience collapsed like blown up balloons with the air let out of them. Everyone was exhausted from laughing so hard for so long.