Thursday, September 09, 2010

no dogs

no dogs, no friends, no air conditioning.
make a note: no friends this season.
they don’t know these closet poems exist,
it is no rhyme, for little reason.

let me cover what i’ve written
with my hand so no stranger sees.
pretending i am - doing this at the library
in air conditioned leather arm chair comfort.

no time for dogs.
no need explain,
had one before,
don’ need one again.

there is heat going on,
and one more thing:
also there is plenty
of no air conditioning.

our unit is down,
away mechanically, and electrically,
imploded, internally squat ,
no boom.

could have gone to air conditioner school
i’ll day dream about that
while i wait in line
to take out a loan for a service call.

now if i were writing this at the library
i’d be in absolute comfort - way!
and maybe that would make all the difference,
words would flow and not stick together either.

sweet corn is very good this year,
thought i’d tell you a good thing.
had more today with plenty of butter.
envy me,

and while your at it
do me a favor - envision me
eating warm fresh sweet corn lightly salted,
seated in cool conditioned air comfort.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Perhaps a trip to the library would be good. Poems are good, too. If you are like me, I come alive when it's cooler, and languish, mind clouded, when it's hot.

Julie said...

I love the rhythm in this one, Jack. It feels like the blues, and that is good. I want to feel a poem when I read it, and this poem makes me feel the scene and music of the words.

I'm a weirdo. I love the heat and humidity. For you, I will envision air condition, though. Do you want it on high? Or medium high?

Sweet corn is awesome, too. I enjoyed this one very much. Get to the library, and have a Happy Thursday.

jack sender said...

thanks to both of you, Annie and Julie.

even thought most of it is a lie
i had fun doing it.

Julie, here is weird for you,
poetically - the part i like best
is where is says,
"and not stick together either."

i liked ending the phrase
with "together either."

could that be a rare double comparative?