Thursday, June 09, 2011

robinses

set to write good of them, i was,
cause hard workers they are.
first up early, feed the kids.
even give them lessons when they’re out.

always up at dawn, retire by dark.
mid day one'll sail in to sit and stare.
tween times sitting to think about the day,
waiting, staring at me, doing nothing.

then when i mow my heart grows cold against them
for i see the yard torn up here and there where
those hoppy bobbing, worm searching peckers
haven't replaced their divots.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Jack,
I enjoyed reading this, and smiled at the end. Though I had to look up the word, divots, I got the inference; and I love how the poem, with foreshadowing, moves the reader from a pleasant reverie to a scolding of those darn robins. The voice of the speaker of the poem comes through wonderfully, and the varied rhythm just flows. I like the title, too- it is perfect!

TomC said...

Jack... enjoyable observations on the little redbreasts thank you. As you know, we make divots in golf too... our carts include containers of sand to cover the scar as replacing divots is much less effective. Try giving the birds tiny buckets of sands and scoops - their behavior may improve.

Marja said...

great poem jack. Amazing how you keep pouring out poem after poem. I have to be in the mood to write poetry.