Wednesday, November 09, 2011

the leaf in the pond

it leapt from tall sugar maple
semi-circled in light breeze,
that leaf briefly glided
then came to pond landing.

large, twisted nearly into a great U
floating flat and steady on one side,
swan proud high on the other
as gusts took it round

making short lines in light wind ripples,
then circles, quickly here,
spin turn there, zipping
like a curious swan on the lookout

then swung about like a four master
in queen’s colors, my beloved red to yellow
swashbuckling dry dinosaur,
remnant of parting golden autumn.

2 comments:

TomC said...

No this... is poetry and, while I am not a fan, I love it. Thanks Jack.

Annie said...

I love this poem, Jack. I think of fairy things, as you capture the swirling of a leaf with vivid imagery. Of course, it's a poem I read aloud, enjoying the sound of it in my voice and on my tongue. I'd love to see this poem illustrated.