Monday, January 02, 2012

the uniform

i saw the uniform in the open door of the closet,
hung pressed like new, was civil war blue
with a narrow yellow side stripe and metal buttons.
with boots, gloves, hat and sword in scabbard.

her husband’s or her father’s, i don’t recall.
she has since gone the long away.
i could call to ask my old friend George,
though we haven't talked since we were children.

and where has that fragment been,
that which i carry in my head?
when now so many years have gone by,
there remains only a thread.

not even my story, someone else’s life
hanging blue in the closet that isn’t there.
even that building exists only
in old worn photos and scant memories.

3 comments:

Marja said...

a wonderful poem. Our past lives just disappear in a mist with a faint trail left. What a petty

Marja said...

a Happy and fantastic New Year to you!

Annie said...

Hi Jack,
Something about this poem gets to me, not in a way that makes me cry (well, maybe), but it makes me think, softly, about all those memories, and what happens when there's no one left to ask. The poem moves along in perfect, reflective cadence, with lines like these: "not even my story, someone else's life hanging blue in the closet."