Thursday, February 26, 2009

Franco

Franco is of indeterminate age
past mid everything, some wrinkles and thin,
of the seedy man who looks dangerous it’s difficult to say more
dull winter layers of tired clothing deceive

he fell into a coma some years ago
friend Alberto visited him in hospital
a watchful grave nurse shook her head
there was little hope afforded him

Alberto approached where the patient appeared clean and comfortable
as the nurse stepped out to leave mournful respect
the dormant Franco lifted an eye and whispered
“I’’m not gong to die, Alberto.”

and so Franco lumbers on, helping the piazza flower venders
moving things, making deliveries on stiffening legs
eyes that give him problems,
drinks too much when inclined, when he has money enough

his mumbled Roman dialect across
lips holding a burning cigarette,
looking up in apparent sneering smile over broken teeth
“sun is warm, the day is good”

2 comments:

Annie said...

Thank you for this poem, the portrait of a man "past mid everything, some wrinkles and thin." I can picture him.

I had to read the poem a few times to get the two men straight. One little word would make it immediately clear: "and so Franco lumbers on, helping the piazza flower vendors..." And it sounds melodic, too, that life affirming confirmation of his name!

jack sender said...

did it. "he" is Franco again.

Franco is about forty, shorter than I, thin and has a twisted, nearly hidden smile at the ready. He lives by himself and just gets by. He reads the paper and has to hold it a few inches from his face because of an eye problem that may be resolved with an upcoming surgery. He is outside the regular pack and I like him. I always go out of my way to say a few words to him, eventhough his heavy Roman local dialect gets beyond my comprehension rather quickly, and folks, I do speak Italian. I have four university professor friends and don't have difficulty talking with any of them. Street talk is something else.