Saturday, September 12, 2009

animals revisited

the house of the rising sun was sung
by Appalachian artists Clarence "Tom" Ashley
and Gwen Foster in 1933
Tom learned it from his grandfather

Alan Lomax recorded his granddaughter singing it in ‘37
Roy Acuff in ’38, Woody Guthrie in ‘41
Led Belly in ‘48,
‘61 Bob Dylan did it

and according to punk archeology
in the British invasion of 64 the animals did it
many others have since recorded it
many other artists

2009 the dentist’s office
heard it on the radio, and kid next to me says
wow. the animals, oh, yeah!
animals lead singer Eric Burton 68 years old

lets dig up Mozart, blow some air in him
and see if he can open for the animals
just keep pumping air until
we get a beat out of him

2 comments:

Annie said...

The version I'm familiar with is the Animals version, but I'd like to hear Woody Guthrie and Bob Dylan's versions. I never realized it was a traditional song.

Annie said...

Hi Jack, I thought to go to U-Tube. Now I've heard Bob Dylan, Leadbelly, and Woody Guthrie sing The House of the Rising Sun, and some guy named GeraldBoyClassical. I've learned the original lyrics were about a woman, not a man, and that the original melody may go back to 17th Century Britain. Thanks for getting me started (when I should be doing laundry!).