Wednesday, October 28, 2009

the beginning

In response to a comment to my post/poem from a few days ago called “began writing poetry” I thought - and thought is always such a good beginning - I thought to say more. The aforementioned little poem alluded to my start of writing poetry. Contrary to what was said in the blogged poem, I was not taking notes while watching a movie. It sounds good, and that's what poetry is about.

I began writing poetry exactly fifty years ago. Incredible.
Boom, boom, time passes.

A half century ago at this time of year I wrote a little booklet of 33 poems that I scribbled into a one edition volume and folded and stapled together. It seems a grandiose delusion to name that bit of hard paper cover and folded typing paper a volume. My friend Roy saw it and liked it, probably encouraged me. I had better quit my reminiscence before I bind the volume in my head in deer hide and put a brand on it with an iron I forged myself in shop class.

The sole surviving poem in my volume is the opening verse that served as explanation and introduction.

words with rhyme
that go
sometime
or not
which is to be
of course
the other way

That piece in the renown beat poetry style was the beginning from which I have not drifted too far, more or less.

3 comments:

Julie said...

Ahhh...finally the world is quiet, and I can kick back with a beer at Jack's place. I always look forward to it. But I can never think of anything brilliant to say other than "I love your poetry." The Cole Porter poem also rocks. It sounds like the music, which is awesome. I should comment down there.

Anyway, I would love to see your work in a book that I can hold in my hands. But I'm glad you post it here.

Annie said...

Hi Jack,
Thank you for sharing your true story. Fifty years is an impressive number, and the actual story is more powerful than the “poetic” one. I bet you wish you still had that bound volume. We can all be grateful for your friend, for encouraging you. ~ Annie

jack sender said...

bound volume is a euphemism.

i remember i drew some art on the cover.