Thursday, January 07, 2010

2010

i read on Andy’s blog
he is going from two thousand and whatever
to twenty ten, stream lining,
coming of age, me too then

nineteen something
was an old man on a crutch
twenty ten is a compact
with lubricated hinges

i’m stepping lighter already
head up, walking tall
come on down the line, new year
i’m unpacked and ready for it all

no technician has to fix it
Mr. Modern Guy has got it all(that's me)
all I need's a Chinese restaurant calendar
on the refrigerator or the bathroom wall

3 comments:

Annie said...

My mother and I have been calling it twenty ten, and she's been saying twenty ten makes it sound like the future, so much farther ahead than two thousand and nine.

Andy Sewina said...

Cool poem Jack, and I'm not just saying that 'cos you gave me a mention, I think it was my Nicola, who was debating 'twenty ten'. I'm calling it 2+10, (pronounced two and ten) just to be different. and here's a last line for you: 'and a payphone down the hall'.

Nicola Batty said...

Glad to see that you too have been influenced by the idea of twenty ten...I'm really chuffed when I hear people generally calling this year 2010...it's got a much better image ring to it than two thousand and ten, don't you agree.
Nicola Batty.