Friday, November 25, 2011

while you're young

while you’re young
hike the peaks.
take some leaps.
come fall, rake leaves.

make tracks in the hills,
wander the hollow,
‘neath clouds high see ‘em go by
as the grand geese honk over.

evening, toast your pals
roast marsh mellows,
laugh now, gals and fellows tell your stories,
wrap it up over apple cider, then count the stars.

days pass, waxed on glass, you know.
then remember again, as you will,
the great times that passed
when we were young together.

2 comments:

TomC said...

"While you're young"... all those things I still do while old - in my dreams that is. I like how I am always young, fit and tireless in that world.

Annie said...

Do it now, as much as you can, at every age; though it's good to remind the young(er).

I like how this poem ends, moving from the general to the particular, bringing in both the speaker of the poem, and the speaker's companions.