Sunday, January 29, 2012

phone message

this is harsh.
get ready to boo.
now this volley
could be aimed at you.

you are annoying
if you have a phone message
with everything on it
except your name.

why hide your name, i have your number?
and don’t repeat the number i dialed.
i know that part already. what i need to know
is if the person i called is there.

how can i leave word with an unknown?
i won’t leave a message
so someone can call back to say
i left word at the wrong number.

if I call you i want the message
to tell me it is you, right away,
or - no message for you.
now have a nice day.

an if i ever have a job
where i have to call and tell you
you won an enormous amount of money
and you don’t have your name on the message

i’ll hang up,
leave my station,
quit the job , pocket your cash
and take a long vacation.

2 comments:

Annie said...

Prepare to be annoyed. I have my number on my recording, so you know you reached the right one, and you can feel comfortable leaving a message.(If you are a friend of mine, and you have my number, you already have my name!) However, I will not boo. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, especially the writer of a poem!

Hannah Stephenson said...

This is so funny....I love the opening ("get ready to boo").