Wednesday, November 17, 2010

to Esquilino - the huge farmers market

on the 70 near Santa Maria Maggiore
the large dark church on a hill in the city,
saw a young man in his twenties
dressed in two shiny dark grey trash bags,

seated back against the wall with stocking cap
and full beard, a faraway look in this eye.
a large decorated cardboard box in front of him,
presumably for you to throw money into.

the bus stopped close to the market.
i know the routine,
we'd done it many times.
gotta eat, today i go it alone.

first a coffee and a warm sweet roll for one fifty.
told the guy the coffee was good, i noticed.
smiling he said, he new it was good, cause he made it.
that’s what my Polish grandmother used to say, didn't tell him.

85 cents for three bananas,
gave 90 with the thought he can keep the change.
five and penny coins are ridiculously small and annoying.
he interrupted my thought to give me back twenty cents

don't think twice
it's all right,
Bob Dylan got that
the way it is.

got a huge, solid red work-of-art of a pepper - 47 cents.
a small pizza with red sauce to take home for an euro.
had breakfast, bacon two eggs, a hot roll,
coffee and orange juice for 5 euro.

said good byes and started off.
a woman on the bus
wore a tribal head wrap,
and an intriging red patterned dress. mysterious.

all in a days venture
into the dark heart of the city,
for a big trip to the famers market.
started raining, and hard, a minute after i got home.

4 comments:

Julie said...

I tip my hat to you, Jack. Beautiful poem. You took me on a trip again. I would have been a sucker for the guy with the cardboard box (or at least my husband tells me I'm a sucker). Every time I go into the city, which isn't often, I come home with no money, because they know I'm a sucker.

But I do love that detail. And all of your details. Your scenes stir every sense. And now I'm hungry:)

Big applause.

jack sender said...

well, you make me smile, Julie.
you stop to tip your hat
and right away
some one is throwing coins into it.

and it's you!

i've got to say these little word pictures i leak out are an escape from writing in complete sentences.

your words are much appreciated.

Annie said...

Hi Jack,
I enjoy, too, the flow of these poems, this one, and the one above. It's like we're reading your thoughts, and they are lovely. (Sorry- I know you are a masculine guy, but lovely, sometimes, best describes your work!)

jack sender said...

Thanks, Annie

I realize the forms I use are non conventional, but these are new times. Like everyone else, I'm doing the best I can.