Saturday, November 20, 2010

half a bag of butterflies

half a bag of butterflies,
that’s what i made
with green sauce
store bought.

i swear i didn’t
put it in my cart
it sort of floated there like butterflies do.
oh, i just tattered my poetic license.

for you rookie cookers, it's easy,
it's written on the bag.
all i had to do was count to twelve.
minutes, that is. presto.

now, pesto – that’s the sauce
i knew it would come to me.
like, when i saw it in the store
and it seemed a good idea.

ate half a bag
cause that’s what i cooked.
thought to save some for later.
saved the dishes to clean up instead.

here’s how it happened.
first i ate a third,
thought that might be enough.
then had seconds.

now there was only a third left,
hardly enough to heat up later,
and i didn’t plan eat a snack between meals,
so i downed it at onecet.

Oncet is an old Southern U.S. expression that I heard many times from a lady when I was growing up. Can't spell it, can't find it in the dictionary or google. Then again, perhaps also related, my dad used to say chimley.

3 comments:

Annie said...

Hi Jack,

I love this poem. It's playful and rhythmic with a natural flow and level of interest, and your creative use of punctuation leads the reader through.

"all I had to do was count to twelve.
minutes, that is. presto.

now, pesto – that’s the sauce..."

Little things like this make the poem work so well, and it is all deceptively simple, but, oh so carefully constructed.

jack sender said...

Thanks, Annie.
I whacked it out with care.

TomC said...

Nice whacking Jack. Our old pal Sister James would be proud.

Also the Google "Are you who you say you are?" word today is "rebic". I believe this may be a direct quote from one of your pond frogs. Since you are the Frog Whisperer you may know what it means...